Saturday, 13 July 2013

Liverpool Privateers 5 Mile Race Recap

Hi everyone,

I hope your weekend is off to a great start.  Today was race day for us, (Matt, Courteney and I).  We each did our premier races for the 5 mile distance!  And boy, what a day it was. We knew on the drive to Liverpool that this would be a steamy race.  Earlier on in the week, the forecast said we'd have a soggy race.  Let me tell you, it was definitely NOT soggy.....but hot and steamy, yes!  The temperature at 8 a.m. was in the mid twenties and when we left to drive home at 10a.m. the outdoor thermometer on the highway was reading 28!!! (Not factoring in humidity). 

I was super excited to race today as I had received my new sneakers yesterday afternoon.  Lola and I check the mail on our walk and I was soooo happy I'd have my new runners for my running this weekend.

Are you ready to check out these babies? 
TA DA-------------------------------->
 
These are funky Asics Nimbus 15s.  Hashem never disappoints!  I love how he always throws in free socks too. :D 

Race Morning
The alarm went off this morning at 5:20..................ugh.  I was just getting comfy, as I had tossed and turned all night.  I had my usual coffee and oatmeal, and off we went.  We picked Courteney up in Bridgewater along the way. 

When we arrived at the race expo, we scanned the 'draw prize table' to see if we won anything.  Hey, two out of three of us ain't bad! 
Look at our snazzy draw prizes! I won a painting of the Valley Harvest Marathon and Courteney got a water bottle. :)
 
 Runners picking up their race kits in the Fire Hall. 
 

We knew the run would be a cooker, so as a last minute decision, I chucked my tank and ran in a sports bra....even though my abs are NOT sports bra ready! LOL. 

The Run
5 miles (Race {5} + 1 mile warmup=6 for the day)
37 minutes and change
7:27 pace/mile

I was sweating heavily throughout the entire run. I don't know how else to say it...lol. I loved the way my new sneakers felt on my feet.....as I told Janice yesterday, "They are quite cushy!"  
 
I was running at a pretty steady pace I felt.  The problem for me is that when the humidity is high, I feel like I'm breathing through a wet sock.  I know.......best example I could think of! LOL.   

At both water stations, I took a water, drank half and poured the other half over myself. When I reached for a cup at the second water station, a little girl, around 8 years old got startled I believe and she pulled her hand back when I was approaching her reaching for water! LOL.  I went back and grabbed one off of the table, so it was all good.  I guess I'm a scary runner???  At 3 miles in, my iPod didn't appreciate the dowsing of water. Oops! It is now sitting in rice in hopes that it will recover for tomorrow's long run. :( 

Once I crossed the finish line, I did my usual finish line routine:  Vomit.  Yep, again.  People appeared to be disgusted and not too concerned if I was okay.....lol.  Matt assured them that this happens all the time, you know, in case they were hiding their concern.  ;)

When we were just about home Shauna wrote me via facebook telling me that I had finished 2nd in my age category and had received a medal!!! I had no idea.  I hope they will mail it to me :)

Congrats to Matt and Courteney on their super races!!!

Recovery Drink
Well I couldn't let all this glorious sunshine go to waste, so I decided to lay back in my chair and tan in the sun as I refuelled. :)
 
Post run orange/pineapple smoothie!  It was awesome if I do say so.  I mixed together in a blender
  • One banana
  • one orange
  • 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple chunks
  • one scoop of pina colada ice cream :D
  • 1/2 cup of almond milk
  • 1 scoop of whey protein powder
  • 5 ice cubes
It was very beachy!
 
Well, that's our race in a nutshell.  Did you race this weekend?

Thanks for coming by and saying HI!

Run Happy,
Heather :)


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi, I nearly melted!

      Delete
  2. Awesome time girl. Once again it was great having you as my racing buddy....Matt too of course!!! What's next for both of us? Navy 10k???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job to you too! I'm guessing it will be Navy 10km unless we dig up another race before then ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm loving this partner race running you guys are doing. I get 2 race recaps per race!

    Congrats on the second place finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin,
      It's super fun to do races with friends.

      Delete
  4. Hi Heather ,Just read your blog for the first time, I love to trry your smoothie son, just one problem no protein powder in Burgeo lol and no pinacolda ice cream :-O00

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, be sure to check it out again...I update often! lol.

      Is there a Sobeys nearby you? That's where we get our protein and the pina colada ice cream :D

      Delete