Sunday, 2 March 2014

Hypothermic Half Marathon Recap

I went. I ran. I survived. :)

Some might say that running a 1/2 marathon in the winter is sort of ballsy, especially if you live on the East Coast of Canada.  Yep. We're in the winter that won't quit right now. But, that being said, I cannot complain about the weather for our Hypothermic 1/2 Marathon today. It was totally awesome winter running weather. And I am very happy about that.

For dinner last night I had roasted sweet potato, broccoli and chicken breast. I like to stay pretty 'safe' in terms of pre-race nutrition.

And with an 8:00 a.m. race start it's necessary to get up at 5:10....even if it's still completely dark out and the bed is ultra cozy.

Oh you know, just another shot of my oatmeal, berries and coffee, for good measure...lol.

The girls arrived to pick me up at 6:45 and we headed over to Cow Bay for the big race. My first race of 2014. Sam and I were still debating outfit choices on the way to the race! It is super hard to choose the perfect outfit for this type of weather in fear of over/under dressing. In the end, we made the right choices. :)

I honestly and truly didn't know what to expect from today's run. I was very curious to gauge my fitness on this run and see if my training is working. The great news is that I felt super strong today and was hitting pace (low 7:30s) for most of the miles, except the mile that included a hill that went on until the end of time, {raised eyebrow}. Hill repeats and 800s work.
Photo cred: S's wife A. :)

The first 8-9 miles felt awesome. I was striding strong and feeling great at about 90% effort, not all guts out. The evidence is that I didn't puke at the end! ;) Then at just over 8 miles  (8.2ish) you run by the finish, lol. Mentally, this is never beneficial to me! I tried hard not to look but I glanced at the clock and it was reading dead on 1:00 and change. I decided at this point I'd go for it and aim for 1:40. Little did I know the last 4-5 miles would include some hilly terrain. :S and slight head wind. (darn).

After much pushing I knew I'd get in under goal time. I ran by the clock at 1:39:15, my second fastest ever 1/2 marathon!!! Super duper happy. :D
Proud finishers!

A hard earned Texas Skillet to celebrate.

And of course a mocha latte to cap off the day.

 An action shot from the race: (thanks Tim Chesnutt!)

Week 5/12 in Boston Bound finished off with a great race!
Time to go ice!

Thanks for visiting GGR today. Have a wonderful day!

Do you do Winter races?
What's your favourite celebratory race meal?

Happy Running,
Heather :)
Next up, The Moose Run 25k on March 16!!!

33 comments:

  1. Great job today :) Carla xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so SPEEDY! Congrats girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job....knew you would kill it with all the training you have been doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting all day for this recap! Awesome time, and great photos! Your hair looks so long! Congratulations on a great race, and for meeting your goal time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Erin, I had a haircut yesterday! LOL.

      Thanks, I am really happy with my run today. I'm hoping not to be too sore tomorrow ;)

      Delete
  5. Awesome race! your so speedy! :) thanks for the motivation today and I high fives along the way :) cant wait for the moose run. my longest run yet! also your sweet potatoes look amazing. how do u cook them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Awesome run to you too :D Thanks for the high fives!

      I just put them in a glass casserole dish with EVOO, salt, pepper and chilli powder. Then I cover with tinfoil and roast. :)

      Delete
  6. WHOO HOOO!!! Congrats Heather!!!!!!
    You rocked it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your hard work is truly paying off!!! Congrats on the amazing PR and the accomplishment of yet another half under your belt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ali! 1/2 #17 is done!!!!

      Delete
  8. Nice job! Congrats! Seems downright sadistic to make you pass the finish at mile 8. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! What an awesome race! You rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job, just like I knew you would do! Love the skillet at the end, nice reward. Also, awesome medals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi!
      Everyone deserves a hearty skillet post-race ;)

      Delete
  11. GREAT RACE, Heather! You are killing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! I am a little behind on reading! You killed it! You must be so happy. I am glad the weather was good for you. That medal is sweet! Who is your photographer on the course? Your pics are great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! I am very happy with my run.
      The photographer is a local race organizer who shows up at many races to promote his races and snaps awesome shots. His name is Tim Chesnutt.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on a very speedy half! Well done. :) I am not a huge fan of winter races unless they are somewhere hot. lol I do like the hypo half though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm usually quite cautious of winter races as well so I'm surprised I even signed up for this one! lol

      Delete
  14. Great job! Speed demon :) looks like a great race despite the whole frozen winter thing ;) I like the medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmeline! I will tell you that for the first 2 miles my feet were numb. But then I warmed up like something furious. :)

      Delete
  15. Awesome job running in your half! And mmm that Texas skillet looks yummy (and well-deserved). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on that amazing time!!! Seriously impressive. Keep logging the miles girl! My goal for my next half (April) is below 1:40:00 but it just seems so out of reach/tough. We'll see! Favorite post-race meal = anything carbolicious. Pancakes are definitely included. :)

    ReplyDelete