Sunday, 8 June 2014

3rd Sole Sister Run & A Load of Other Stuff

Last night I ran in the third Sole Sister's 5km Fun Run. I've done this run every year since it started (3 years) and it's the largest all women's 5k in Canada! There was a whopping 3200 women running this year...yowzers!

You can find my last year's recap here. Unfortunately the first year I ran it I wasn't a Blogger. :D But I will tell you that it rained from the heavens, firemen gave us our medal, which was stinkin' cool, and there was a chocolate station as well as a hug station. Good times.

Sam and I headed up to the start. Yes "Up." As you can see it's on a hill....never fear! You get to zoom down this hill for the finish. Sweet ;)

I really love this below picture of Sam and I....hehe. Can't you see how windy it was?! It felt like a magazine photo shoot with my hair blowing that way...LOL.
We sported our purple Pros for the purple theme. :D

I found it hard at the start. For real. My stomach was doing weird spinning things and I was worried I was getting some sort of stomach bug. AND, the before mentioned wind made things challenging for sure. Either way, I decided I was still having fun...even if I had to pull over and puke. No worries: This didn't actually happen.

First mile beeped at 7:46. That is definitely slower than I usually run in a 5k. But as long as I kept under 24 minutes I was going to be happy. P.S. This is not an officially timed race...but stubborn runners like myself must wear a watch because apparently we forget how to run without a Garmin on. ;)

I chased down the Robsons for third woman to cross. As an FYI: I will never actually catch Canada's fastest marathoner or her daughter but that doesn't mean I can't try. HAHA! I stole this photo from the local newspaper.....you can check out the page here



Sam and Marg both rocked their runs as well. And obviously we made our hubby's take a bazillion pics of us. Obviously.


I finished in 21:32 according to my watch. I know this isn't a steamin' fast 5k time since I have no clue how to run 5ks....lol. Maybe you can teach me! ;)
This is a super fun run and you should totally do it if you live in or around the neighbourhood. I'd love to see singlets next year since I now have 3 purple tees from the run....Just an idea I'm throwing out there. ;)

The bling. :)


A Load of Other Stuff
Lola Ludy on Bird Watch. "Hey Lola, pull that weed while you're out there!" LOL.

Hmm, okay. I don't know how I feel about seeing this little guy in the driveway on Thursday Morning....EEEW! 

Oh yay! My herbs are finally sprouting that I planted. :D
My Running
For Tuesday's National Running Day I clocked 7 miles in my Brooks Run Happy tank. Several people asked where I found such an awesome shirt, and the answer is: "The Brooks Booth at the Boston Marathon Expo." :D It also came in pink, but they only had Lg left. :( 

My favourite new post-run recovery drink: Protein, vanilla greek yogurt, almond/coconut milk and shake in the Blender Bottle. Super easy and quick!

On Thursday I ran 4 easy miles. I was totally happy to see the Lilacs in bloom. And yes, I actually stopped to sniff them. They are so yummy smelling!


I did an easy early morning 4 miler in the trail on Saturday. Even though the Sole Sisters run was later that night I didn't mind heading out for a little jaunt in the trail.

Since Saturday was jam packed with 2 runs, I played the safe card today and did my ten miler at long run pace. It was lovely out! 

 So that's a pile of stuff I've been up to. Tell me something you've been up to these days!

 As you may know, I am registered for the Johnny Miles Full Marathon next Sunday...Gulp! This is the marathon I shockingly finished first female in last year! I realize I will not even come close to winning this year after creeping the current entry list. Oh come on---you know you do that too! ;)

Sam sent me the elevation profile of the 4 loop course. We had to run on an alternate course last year since there was major construction, but this year we are going back to the old route...so I've been told.

Thanks for stopping by and visiting GGR. Have a beautiful day!

Did you run the Sole Sisters Run?
Have you ever grown a herb garden? Any advice? 

Happy running,
Heather :) 
The Johnny Marathon is in one week!!! OMG :0 

30 comments:

  1. that Johnny elevation chart looks amazing, it's so flat!!
    Ummm...21 minutes for a 5km is flying, girl!!
    I haven't done the SS run yet, but it would be super fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is supposed to be a good full. You can so do it next year!

      Delete
  2. Man you've been running a lot! Congrats on such an awesome 5k time! You even ran that morning! I only ever ran one 5k. They are so nerve wracking. What is that gross thing in your drive way? I hope they are only found in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms. 18 miles! ;) that gross thing is a salamander.....and eew! I'm taking so much time off after the marathon. I can't wait!

      Delete
    2. Oh darn I just googled it and there are 22 species of salamanders in Pennsylvania :(

      Delete
  3. I LOVE YOUR RUNNING SHORTS OMG. You look so pretty, even at the end of a race! Great job on your time. 21 minutes is speedy in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! The shorts are New Balance and are very comfy.

      Delete
  4. I love that we ran the exact same run today. One of these days we will go for a run together… I would love to see the east coast so that may just happen ;) Sounds like a great running week, awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was too funny! Totally come visit the East Coast!!!!

      Delete
  5. I totally creep entry lists. But who knows, you might still win it! Also, I love those shorts you wore to the 5k.So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I am not alone. ;) I only won last year because it got super hot and a lot of people dropped out. I was one of the stubborn people who decided to try and finish. Luckily I did! This year a lot of speedsters and 3 hr marathoners are doing it.......sooooo, no chance. LOL

      Delete
  6. I am totally in love with your running shorts. They are so amazing! You are always so beautiful in your pictures! How do you do it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are New Balance. I actually thought that I looked like a disaster in those pics, LOL, but thank you. :)

      Delete
  7. You have an awesome 5K time girl! Love that that was a women's centered race. It looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a women's only run. I love the smell of lilacs this time of year! So nice. My grandmother used to have one on her lawn and they always remind me of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great race recap. I'm the same way with my Garmin, I wear it everywhere and track all my miles. I thinki havea problem lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! What would we ever do without our Garmins??? ;)

      Delete
  10. Looks like an awesome race -- love that medal!!

    ~ Lora @ Crazy Running Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's so many more people than I thought! Maybe I should give it a shot next year. I don't care what you say - that's a really great time!

    Good luck this weekend! I haven't checked the weather lately, but I'll be hoping for good (running) weather for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! I am seeing some pretty warm temperatures right now in the short term forecast but fingers crossed! Is there a possibility of a flash freeze I wonder ha ha! You definitely should take part in the run next year. it was super fun and you get a really cool medal!

      Delete
  12. i've tried to grow a herb garden several times, but i always kill everything :)

    i'm just like you. must. wear. garmin.

    and 21 minutes is a steaming fast 5k for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope I don't manage to destroy my herbs! I sort of forgot about them until they began sprouting...lol.

      Delete
  13. I'm with Dawn ^^ 21 minutes for a 5K is definitely steaming fast!!!! :D

    How is your protein powder? Does it have the normal weird after taste that most protein powders have? I'm always on the hunt for a new brand that tastes really good!

    ... I think that little guy in your driveway is kind of cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only protein powder I've tried that doesn't hurt my belly. I really like it!

      Delete
  14. I have absolutely no idea how to run a 5k. I run it like a half marathon... oops :) With that said, you did great! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally vote that you grace the cover of Women's Running magazine. I'm starting my campaign right now on Twitter and FB, and you have no choice in the matter! Mwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete