Monday, 28 July 2014

Tely 10 Recap 2014

My. Quads. Are. Toast.

But a PR is certainly worth it! ;)

Preparation for this year's Tely 10 involved a lot of early morning street runs. I wanted to simulate the course as much as possible in training since my Tely 10 record is somewhat less than stellar in my opinion. I've had a string of not-so-spectacular Tely's if  you will. You can read about last year's run here. The course is flat and downhill in many sections. I have been cursed with the side stitch for two of the past three Tely 10s and it's ruined the experience. :(  I had decided that this year's run was going to be great, no matter what. I wasn't going to let my Garmin control my feelings of the run. No way.

I put so much pressure on myself to do well since it's my home and it's the only race my family gets to see me run since I live in Nova Scotia. Even the outfit choice has to be just right, lol. I actually let my sisters pick my outfit this year. :)
Race Morning: 
I had arranged to get a ride with Janice since she's neighbours with my sister Carla. Carla snapped my pre-race pic before I headed out. Thanks Mike for the throw-away!

Janice and I met up with her friends and anxiously walked a mile from where we parked to the start line. It's sort of a blur since I was super duper nervous. I recall conversation about socks and that's about it! LOL. I am thankful for nature breaks along the way with friends who remember to bring TP! ;)
Start line shot with pre-race jitters about as bad as they can get! And I'm not just talking about myself....lol.
I ditched the t-shirt, ate a salted caramel Gu and did my warm up. A few ladies yelled out and asked where my pink shorts were from and right away I knew then that Trudy's idea to wear my neon Lulu speed shorts was a good one so that I'd be easily visible to them. ;) There were many familiar faces at the start. I met a man from my hometown who is an accomplished runner and I saw Marg and her sister there too! All of which totally smashed their races by the way.

Colin, the man from my hometown gave me a great piece of advice: "Be careful in the first mile." And he was so right. I usually get pulled by the crowd's adrenaline and lose sight of my pace. Not this time! I was comfortably cruising along with fresh legs.

I knew to look around the two mile mark for Carla, Trudy and Dad (in other words: My camera crew...lol). My Dad was wearing bright orange so they were super easy to spot.

Here I come! Can you spot me? 
Just getting into the zone

 I'm not sure why I really love this photo. It just makes me smile. :)

I was hitting 7:11-7:15 paces for the first three miles and of course, like clockwork, I got a silly side stitch at 3.8 miles....sigh. I stopped and walked. Yes walked! I said I would just let it work out and then go again. I could see another lady stopping just ahead of me in neon orange and I wondered if she was having the same issue. It happened right after I gulped some water. :S

At mile 4.4, I actually remember the distance because I did a Garmin check, there was a large Terry Fox sign along the course. I sucked up my side stitch and thought "if Terry could run a marathon a day with one leg, I have nothing to complain about here!"
 

Then it dissipated....for a while....and I cautiously ran in the 7 30s -7 50s trying to ease myself back into my run. After THREE walk breaks it finally went away. Mile 5 had me at 36:58 and mile six at 45:XX. I was at mile 7 when I was finally feeling good....and strong. I decided that after seeing 52:50 for mile 7 I could PR. If I worked for it. So that's what I did.

I passed by my child hood phys ed teacher somewhere between mile 6-7 I believe and he yelled out my name. It was kind of cool. :)  As I got closer to downtown there were way more spectators popping up. I remember running by 2 fire stations that had hoses out to run underneath, so that's just what I did and it was great. I managed a 7:11 and a 7:09 mile for 8 and 9. I was determined.

At mile 9 I got  a scare when an older gentleman staggered across the street confusedly. People were rushing out to help him. So many people had heat exhaustion on Sunday, it was scary!

The crowds were insane under the blistering sun and my legs were burning! As I made the turn I did not expect to see anyone I knew when I saw my family! They had actually never been able to see me finish the Tely 10 before since it's always jam packed with people. I heard my dad yell "GO HEATHER!" and it gave me goosebumps!

Thumbs up if you smell a PR! ;)

Some real grinding going on here...trust me.

"Is that vomit I feel coming on???"

My tummy was burning going down this last stretch. The spectators were absolutely amazing! "I don't care if I barf everywhere! I'm getting a PR today!!!!"

Eyes on the prize here!
I'm surprised there isn't smoke coming out of my legs...they were burning! 
I heard the names of people being called as they crossed the mat and it seemed so far away. Before I knew it I hit the finish and gushed puked three times next to the feet of two paramedics. They tried to persuade me to lie on the stretcher or sit in the wheelchair but I assured them that this is common when I literally run my guts out.

Some random guy (as he walked by me at the medal chute) said, "Good run! You passed me like I was taped to the pavement!" LOL. I won't ever forget that one. ;)

The important stuff (The stats) ;)

Official time: 1:14:40, 7:30 pace/mile, 252/3774 finishers, 34/2224 females!

With the soaring temperatures and smothering humidity, there were ~400 DNSs & DNFs at this year's race! The medics said they'd not ever seen a Tely with so much illness brought on by the heat. Crazy!

As I looked for my sisters and Dad, they sort of snuck up behind me...lol.

Some sweaty photo ops are coming up.....Photo overload! LOL

 I was feeling pretty great.

I finally saw Janice after searching through the crowds for familiar faces! She rocked her run!!! I owe her thanks for my ride, T-shirt switch AND the toilet paper square...LOL.

Sister shot---->

Pretty much zonked and riding off my runner's high. :)

More familiar faces! Deborah got to witness my guts out finish first hand, lol.

I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate a PR than Froyo! ;)

Heaven in a cup....mmm.

mmmmmm.................

I couldn't find my Aunt Brenda at the finish line due to crowd congestion so we decided that a post-run showered up picture would do just fine for 'The Blog.' ;) It's hard to believe her TM runs actually baffled me when I lived with her during University. I was about as inactive as you could imagine. I'm glad to say that now I finally 'get it.' :)

Well, I believe this about tops it off for the longest post ever in the history of GGR, lol. I was so impressed with the photos my Dad took with his new camera that I wanted to include them all! Thanks Dad. :D

The Tely 10 was awesome as usual and if you haven't done it, start training now for next year! You won't be sorry. Newfoundlanders know how to put on a great event!

Thanks for staying tuned in to read to the end, lol. You guys rock!

Happy  Running,
Heather :)

39 comments:

  1. Wonderful race, and wonderful recap, Heather! Awesome job, especially with the heat. I could never run that pace in that heat, it is really zapping me this year. I have never puked after a run but I would do it if it meant a PR! Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! It was really challenging to run that PR in the heat and humidity. I worked very hard and am certainly paying the price right now

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Next time I'll have a bigger supply of tp... It was good to see you again! Congrats on the PR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice and congratulations to you as well! hopefully next year we will be able to do the same thing except with a little more TP...lol.

      Delete
  3. Great job!! I know that puke face well! Those darn side stitches...I wonder why they bother you so at this race. Great job training and achieving your PR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard about Tely until this year ... sounds like a great race!
    On another note ... let's talk about your core routine. I know you eat really clean but what do you do for core workout? And how many times a week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! It's a fabulous race that I definitely suggest you do. :D I do core 3-4 times a week...never on long run days because my legs keep cramping, lol. I do a lot of leg lifts, russian twists, bicycle crunches, and every exercise from the 8 min abs video. You can youtube it. It's a great quick core workout. :D

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your PR!!!!!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Post! i smiled the whole way through - I can totally relate. I did my first PR last year this time, and I am determined to go back to the same race and do another PR. Its just the nerves I need to get passed. Even if I barf at the end I will be stoked! Congrats again! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much getting a PR is certainly much more appreciated now that I've been running for a few years. they seem to be harder to come by. I think that puking is well worth it! Lol

      Delete
  7. Wow, even with stopping to walk 3 times you still did AWESOME! congrats on a PR. Those are some really great pictures of you running.

    I am surprised in the one picture that there is just a random gym bag hanging there on the fence. You would think security would be tighter than that. ( Just a random thing I picked out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That gym bag was the first thing I noticed as well when I got back to the house and look at the photos! I told my family that I got patted down to run the Boston Marathon with such high-security and in this race a random gym bag gets unnoticed....I thought that was strange as well.

      Delete
  8. What an awesome run, congrats! You've got some fantastic photos (well done to you Dad) and look so fit and strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! My dad was taking great pride in his photography skills all weekend LOL.

      Delete
  9. Woohoo!! Way to go on your PR!

    Oh man - still haven't puked in a race yet but see kids puke at track practice all the time!

    Humidity is awful stuff - same thing happened during the Ottawa Marathon. I've never seen so many people down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rebecca! I seem to puke at races where I really push myself at the end especially if it's a hot one.

      Delete
  10. Awesome job on the PR!! I love reading your recaps.. I get excited everytime as you near the finish line!! As someone who always slows down nearing the finish for fear of puking.. I really love.. "I dont care if I barf.. Im getting a PR today!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Melissa! LOL I was so determined to get a fast time I was willing to run with vomit coming out of my mouth I did not care.

      Delete
  11. Great run and congrats on the PR. I feel bad because now I feel like I always leave something in the tank, I've never puked at the finish lol. I'm conserving too much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! Sometimes I feel like I am running a little too hard when I feel nauseous but a man at the finish line told me it was okay that I puked he said that means I gave it my all. ;)

      Delete
  12. Way to kick ass!!!!!! That guys comment about the tape is too funny! I've never puked after a race, but I have definitely felt like I should after some speedwork days -- especially in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! Speed work definitely is a vomit inducing workout for me!

      Delete
  13. Great re-cap! Sounds like a fun race, besides the sweltering heat! I love, love, love having my family out there to snap pics and cheer - there is no better feeling! Glad they got to see you finish...oh and puking at the end...eeek!! Way to PR girlie and way to kill your race :) xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ganeeban! Sweltering is the perfect way to describe the heat!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations, sounds like a tough race and you still nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your PR!!! Awesome job lady!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those shorts look soooo comfy!! Congrats on your PR...you worked so hard and really gutted it out (literally!). I was cracking up at the guy who said you passed him like he was stuck to the pavement...what an amazing compliment!! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! It was tough.

      Those Lulu speed shorts ARE comfy! I bought them last summer in zippy green and I don't know if I love the colour, or the fit the most. :)

      Delete
  17. Great job and congrats on the PR! Just think how speedy you'll be next year when you don't have side stitches (that's me sending you good vibes for next year's race :) )! Your dad is a great race photographer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! My dad was quite proud to be the race photographer...lol. Any tips on getting rid of or preventing a side stitch???

      Delete
  18. I got a PB too over the weekend at a 5k I ran with my Dad, which is rare as all my family is in England.
    Calgary only has one 10 mile race, now I want to try it after reading this. October shouldn't give me too many problems with the heat though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your PB!!!! You should definitely try the 10 miler in Calgary! I like 10 milers because they're shorter than a 1/2 marathon but give you a really good gauge of your fitness level.

      Delete
  19. Man I think my comment got eaten up! haha I was just gong to say how much I LOVE your shorts (4 way stretch or 2 way from lulu?) and how your pics look amazing! my bf is terrible at taking action shots at races! haha. congrats on your PB :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to PR in style :) I can't believe you manged that pace with walk breaks to get the side stitch out. Very awesome! I will remember the next time I try to fight the hurl, just let her rip lol I love your pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you got to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Want your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete