Sunday, 14 September 2014

Maritime Race Weekend Sunrise 1/2 Marathon!

To say that I had a relaxing weekend would be such an adaptation of the truth! But fun, now that's a different story. 

After last night's Sunset 5k I was running on adrenaline. Here are some late photos that Matt snapped at the race:
No filter: This is the start of the race. What a glorious evening!
 Heading in for the finish!
Thanks for the shots Matt!
I love this shot from Cookie MacKilt! He captioned it "Girl Goes Pirate," which I think is pretty darn clever!
Receiving my glow in the dark bling from Nick! He is such a loyal volunteer to this event. :)
Chatting it up with Lynn...I'm just not 100% certain why I look like I'm sleep standing! LOL. We were having a great conversation!


Feeling super sleep deprived when I got home I tried hard to catch some zzz's but alas, it was an epic fail. All night tossing and turning. Don't you just LOVE when that happens? ;) Especially when you are running a 1/2 Marathon in the morning! Never the less, the race was happening whether I was well-rested or not, lol.

The weather at the start line was chilly, and that of course was awesome for racing. I was feeling pretty strong and ready for a solid 1/2. No PB's were planned since I have a full in a month!!!!! But of course if I stumbled upon one, I'd learn to live with it. ;)

At the sound of gun, we were off! It was a super tight start, but manageable once you were out of the corral. During the very first mile I had stomach cramping.....Just lovely. Right away I was running far below goal pace. :(  Marg who was running the 10km ran by and asked if I was okay. She is so kind! This lasted for a good 4.5 miles or so and only seemed to dissipate when I was going uphill. In a weird way I was happy to see Caldwell Road...the hill I dreaded last year.

It finally went away and I tried to make up time. I think we all know that's pretty much impossible after nearly 5 miles, but I was trying very hard!

The course was as hilly as I recalled from last year and many parts were on the same route as the hilly Moose Run. Uh oh! I have to admit that Cow Bay has some pretty spectacular views! I saw a field of tan coloured horses running and I thought how easy they made it look. A windmill spinning near the ocean and even though hilly, once you were up high looking down, it was amazing! I didn't see hardly any of this with the thick fog last year so this year's weather was pretty perfect!

I thought I could maybe possibly still get in under 1:40 after running my guts out, but I knew it would be close.
Awesome Heidi captured my finish as she was cheering after her rockin' 10k! Way to go!!!
 I hit the mat in 1:40:24. I can't complain about that. 1/2 Marathon #19 is in the log. :)

The stats:
Once again I was 5th female and 2nd in my division...Exactly like last night! LOL.
 Ladies be lovin' their swag. ;)
Myself, Marg and Sam, Missing from the photo is sweet Katie who took our shot. 
So here's one with Katie in it. :)
 Such a poser, lol.

Once again, Steve's wife Alison was able to capture my finish! I owe her dearly for all the races she's snapped my stride. Thanks Alison!

The lesson I learned at this race I guess would be no matter how hard  you train, how healthy you have been eating, how awesome the weather is or how flat/hilly the route is, you can never predict what's going to happen. I was healthy, fit and fuelled well and the race still didn't go as expected. But being able to finish strong feels that much more awesome when it's a fight. Congrats to all who ran this weekend!

Check out my loot! Once again you received a 5k medal (the skull that glows!), 1/2 Marathon medal and the Tartan one for doing two events! Check out the treasure chest: It opens up and if you get the blue Brooks Run Happy Sneaker, you win free shoes! I got purple so no free shoes for me. :( But at least I like purple. :)

Shopping and an Americano. My type of afternoon. ;)

Matt and I celebrate with nachos and fajitas. No complaints here! :D

Thank you again for reading the racing rambles of GGR. I love when you read and leave your thoughts! Have an amazing day. :)

Share  your running/racing stories of the weekend with me!
What's your post-race meal? 

Happy Running,
Heather :)

26 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen a picture of you where you aren't flying in the air!!! Great job this weekend...can't wait to see you finish at the Valley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....don't you love floating to the finish??? LOL ;)

      Delete
  2. Amazing job!! That is a HILLY course. I didn't really believe it until I was out there this year. At least the views distracted from them a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree and I'm not just a wimp! ;)

      Delete
  3. Awesome job, you finished so strong! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I saw you!!! Great job on the ten km!!!

      Delete
  4. I saw you as I was running the 10k fly by everyone looking strong! Great job! It was so beautiful on the water (10 route).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I wish I saw you!!! :) I did the 10k the first year of the event and I remember it was gorgeous! (minus the huge hill...lol).

      Delete
  5. Love reading your race recaps! Glad you had a strong finish to your half...wish I my race had gone that way! Ah well...gotta respect the legs. Good luck in your final build-up to the Valley Harvest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! I really enjoyed our finish line conversations! :) I'm sorry your race didn't go as planned, and then I guess mine didn't either. It's all a part of the process I guess. I hope to see you at the Valley :D

      Delete
  6. Congrats on finishing strong on both races! I'd love to do an evening 5K! Such cute bling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually enjoyed racing in the evening :D

      Delete
  7. Great job! Congratulations! I love your recaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! It sure was mentally tough for me. :)

      Delete
  8. Amazing job as always, Heather. I think hard races can make us more confident -- getting that mental toughness training under our belts is so important.
    P.S. When I saw your photos of the fajitas I almost drove straight to Jungle Jims :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a racing machine! Congratulations! Seriously, I don't know anyone who races as much as you. :) 19 half marathons is no joke. I have run 3 in my whole life haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! I'd love to see you kick ass at a 1/2! I bet you have a rockin' time!

      Delete
    2. The last time I ran a 1/2 (not on trail) was in.... 2008!!! LOL!!!! It was a PR- 1:38. I was thinking about trying to beat that time at some point after my 10k since I've done all that dang speed training and tempo runs.

      Delete
  10. Your post race meallooks YUM! I usually just let my BF pick the closet place because by the end of a race I'm so tired and out of it, I would just lay on the sidewalk if that was an option ;) Just wondering, I've been meaning to ask you if you do any strength training alongside your running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Yes I do do strength workouts! LOL...that sounded funny! I do a lot of core and upper body to make sure I balance my muscular strength. I use the 'high rep low weight' strategy. :) I focus on shoulders, bi's, back, chest and tri's.

      Delete
  11. Great job speedy! Congrats on lucky #19. Wow you are indeed a racing machine. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on a great race! Your friend got some awesome shots of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulation on #19 :) You have had a great run of races lately!! I love all your bling - fun memories. The 5K Girl goes pirate is super cute :) You have some great race pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoop, what a great race! I loooved your costume. 19 HMs?! You are a rock star, woman!

    ReplyDelete