Monday, 3 November 2014

Lucky 7 Relay 2014!

We went. We ran. We got wet. ;)


Sunday morning was the third annual Lucky 7 Relay in Halifax. It's called the Lucky 7 since each team member runs 7km for a total of 21.1km, or in other words a half marathon. Both previous years have been freeeeeeeezing! This year brought weather of another kind: the storm watch kind, {womp womp}. Don't worry though, we were prepared! 

Our team wore rain boots, hooded jackets, mittens, hats and carried our gear in garbage/recycling bags. FYI: We were the group of runners in the tent of everyone's envy. ;)  Yep, that was us who you threw your gloves, jackets, buffs, etc. at. Super thanks to Gaetan! 

The run was located at the Halifax Citadel, a star-shaped hill which you ran around approximately 7x. Yes, 7x! So that one butt-kicker of a small hill, you did 7x. Lovely...lol. 
Source


Check out how cool the Citadel Fort is!




 The start area:
You can't see many runners because they are hiding in the little nooks
to stay dry. ;)
Marg is all set for Leg #1...or as I like to call it, "the Leg without rain." LOL. Don't get me wrong, the wind was still a nuisance.
Lookin' Fab
 Lookin' Fast. ;)

Our cheering viewpoint:
It was super cool seeing the heads of the first runners appear at the top of the hill.
Then suddenly, you saw this!
Sam and I took full advantage of a photo op while cheering. :)
Tom made several of these great signs to spruce up our cheering zone!

Sam rockin' Leg 2! When we were all cheering we looked for the red tutus from a distance. They were super easy to distinguish!



Oh goodness, I think I'm ready for Leg 3. By now it was raining cats and dogs. It was a poncho sort of day...lol.
I can't be sure what exactly Scott is doing behind me...lol. Any guesses????
Once again we had phenomenal photographers along the race course! Thanks Stepane Caron and the Lucky 7 crew. :)

Notice the abundance of umbrellas?! I kid you not about the rain. 
By the time I had finished the first lap my shoes felt as heavy as bricks and my toes were doing some major squishing. :S You can only avoid puddles for so long until it becomes too much of a pain in the butt. Then it's fair game. Sorry to any runners who I totally splashed...there were a few, lol.
Might as well enjoy running in the rain....hey I am wearing a tutu after all. ;)
I like to call this one "Super Girl Goes Running." 

It was super motivating to run by our cheering tent so many times. They were screaming like crazy...lol. And let's face it, no matter how badly I wanted to slow down, there was no way I was going to in front of so many people I knew...nope, my pride wouldn't let me do that for sure! LOL.
Frozen like a popsicle. Chattering teeth and shaky hands to the max. Thanks to Pam who hooked us up with Hot Chocolate and Coffee! 
 My Swag!
My run:
7km/ 4.4 miles.

Each of the three Lucky 7s I've run have been with different teams who've kicked mega butt! And this year the Timberlea Trailblazers certainly did that...in super woman costumes too I might add. ;) Such a fun Relay! You must come do it next year. :)

Great job to everyone who raced yesterday, whether it was the NYC Marathon!!!!!! or the Lucky 7 Relay!

And hey, check out my early birthday present I received today:
Oh yeah! :D
Thanks for stopping by the GGR blog this evening. Have a beautiful day!
Were you racing the Lucky 7 yesterday???
Have you ever raced in a costume?

Happy Running,
Heather :)

11 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun -- in spite of the rain! I'm glad you had fun and got warm eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you look so happy even though the weather looks hellish! Rain makes for a rough run, squishy feet are no fun. It really looks like a great race spot. You all did great with your costumes :) I ran one event for Christmas last year in costume and it poured rain. It was an 8K and I remember thinking at the end if it had been a half marathon I never would made it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I FELT cold looking at those pictures! I agree with the puddle thing. And you can't get wetter than wet, right???

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are troopers! It was so cold and wet! Looks like you had a lot of fun :) I've never run the Lucky 7 and only ran in a Pirate costume at Maritime Race Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love that picture of you! You have the most awesome races in your area. I wish we had more fun races like that, but our local running group is a pretty awesome one! I adore the tutus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the setup of this relay race! I would love to do something like that! This reminds me of CIM two years ago, my mentality was "you can only get 100% wet," after that all I did was enjoy the race because I was already soaked! Nice time and team finish! xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete
  7. I PB'd in the 5K wearing a banana suit - true story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like so much fun minus all of the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never raised in costume, mostly because I'm scared that I will be too slow and I'll look silly running like a newbie in a costume! This looks like a really cold and wet race, but it looks really fun and I like the idea of running 7 km with your team. And that metal is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the early birthday present!!!!! and the lucky 7 relay!!!

    ReplyDelete